Thursday, May 14, 2009

John M. Morrison

This was the only headstone that mentioned the Spanish American War. The Spanish American War was over the liberation of Cuba and took place from April - August, 1898. This stone provides no clue as to how old he was so it is hard to guess. I have found some information on the Morrisons in Illinois. Most of them were Civil War era, I am wondering if this is a relative. I am researching this and will keep you updated. You just don't hear much about the Spanish American War. UPDATE: May 27- I am excited! I received a reply from a Mr. Bruce Morrison that I contacted. This is what he told me.
" The Marker--the 6th Illinois Infantry was a Spanish American War unit.
(In the Civil War Illinois had no infantry regiments numbered below 7).
The 6th Illinois was largely made up of national guard units and ended up
serving in Puerto Rico. The only John Morrison I could find in the roster of the
6th Illinois was a John Morrison of Morrison, Illinois in Whiteside County.
He was in Company I of the 6th Illinois. Checking the Illinois marriage index
a John M. Morrison married a Lida Kennedy in Whiteside County in 1895. This
sounds like it could be the right John M. Morrison."
Mr. Morrison also included a database page of Illinois Spanish-American War Veterans with John Morrison on it, Showing him with the rank of PVT in Company I of the 6th IL INF from Morrison.

No comments:

Post a Comment